The course aims to train professionals with an advanced level of education for the exercise of highly qualified roles in the field of food and human nutrition.
The graduate must be in possession of a solid educational background and must be able to integrate the acquired knowledge and to solve problems in interdisciplinary contexts in order to:
- manage the complex relationships between diet and health status;
- use new technologies applied to food and human nutrition in order to evaluate and improve nutritional quality and food safety.
Graduates of this degree course can carry out professional activities in the field of food and human nutrition.
In reference to the activities classified by ISTAT job opportunities can be recognized as part of the free-lance and business sector within the Life Sciences (184.108.40.206.1 - Biologists and similar professions. In addition, graduates may enroll as biologists or nutritionists after passing the state examination.
This course also allows access to PhD courses and schools of specialization, and also provides an outlet in research (220.127.116.11.1 - Researchers and technical graduates in the biological sciences).
Employment opportunities for graduates may include:
- carrying out operational roles in the development of health food products;
- carrying out operational roles in agribusiness companies operating in the food service industry, including hospitals, and large retailers;
- carrying out managerial roles within the pharmaceutical industry for the design of supplements in the metabolic and nutritional field;
- management of laboratories for food analysis;
- carrying out roles in public health planning and management of nutrition services and programmes for nutrition surveillance;
- carrying out roles in regional bodies to monitor and control disease and nutrition in universities and research institutes.