The course aims to train and develop professionals with an adequate mastery of scientific methods and contents, with special reference to food security, the management of production processes and the economic management of enterprises, able to understand and manage innovation and adapt to scientific and technological development within the food sector. In particular, the course aims to provide the graduate with skills that enable them to cope with and manage issues related to the quality of raw materials, plant and animal products processing, hygiene, food safety and human nutrition as well as the ability to manage technological processes at all stages of the food chain from raw material contribution to marketing, with particular reference to the formulation of new products, new management processes, and reducing the impact on the environment. Graduates will also have acquired the ability to manage innovation and technology transfer in the food industry; to plan the birth of an enterprise in the food sector.The graduate must have a solid basic knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, specifically geared to their application issues in science and technology along the entire food production chain.
Graduates of this course of study will be able to carry out professional activities in the agri-food sectors, the private and public sector.
With reference to professional activities classified by ISTAT, graduates of this course of study can find employment opportunities within the profession of Food Technicians (22.214.171.124.2 – food Technicians). In all cases are considered as accessible professions levels above those consistent with University preparation provided three-year graduates of class L-26.
The following sectors fall within the competences and potential uses of graduate:
- conducting, consulting and management of companies operating in the areas of production, processing, marketing and storage of foodstuffs;
- the evaluation of the quality and sanitation aspects of the finished product;
- management of production lines and the design of systems aid in the sector;
- use in food analysis laboratories;
- the management of innovation in the food industry;
- employment in advisory services, technical assistance and dissemination;
- conducting, consulting and management of catering and retailing;
- access to employment in the public administration.