The course aims to train professionals to an advanced level for the exercise of highly qualified work in the food industry. In particular, the contents of advanced analytical chemistry and predictive microbiology, food technology, economics and the acquisition of knowledge in the production of raw materials of plant and animal origin launch high quality graduates in Science and Food Technology into roles at the top of the food production chain. The graduate should be able to integrate the knowledge gained with the aim of:
- evaluating the influence of the metabolic processes of the products of plant and animal origin on the processes of conservation and transformation in view of their commercial use;
- using traditional technologies and / or emerging conservation, processing and packaging of food and assessing their impact in terms of shelf-life and health and hygiene safety;
- enhancing local products through the application of innovative technologies of processing and storage, and research and marketing strategies.
Graduates of this course will be able to conduct managerial positions in the food industry, in both the public and private sectors. With reference to the professional activities classified by ISTAT, graduates of this course can find employment opportunities within the profession of food science technicians (220.127.116.11.2 - Technicians food ). In particular, graduates can enroll on the list of food technologists upon passing the state exam.
In addition, job opportunities can be recognized as part of the high level of technical professions such as "Technical organization and management of production factors" (18.104.22.168.0 - Technical organization and management of production factors).
The following sectors fall within the competences and the possible uses of Graduates:
- the management of SMEs operating in the field of production, processing, storage and marketing of food;
- The study, design, direction, supervision, operation and testing of the processes of food processing and organic products, including sewage treatment of effluent and recovery of by-products;
- market research and related activities in relation to food production;
- research and development of processes and products in the food industry;
- the study, design, monitoring, management, accounting and testing for jobs that relate to catering in canteens, public canteens, hospital canteens and any type of service canteen and catering;
- quality control and characterization of typical food products.