Libraries lend their own bibliographic material to Italian and foreign Libraries and Cultural Centres, exclusively for study or research reasons.
The service is provided only to the Libraries belonging to the National Library System and to the Libraries of Universities or Research Centres. Requests directly submitted by private individuals shall not be accepted. In order to be able to make use of the interlibrary loan service, such individuals shall refer to their own reference libraries.
The requests of material available through the ILL service shall be submitted by:
- e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and through the SBN interlibrary loan form
- The loan duration is fixed in 15 days from the date of receipt. After such period, the volume shall be returned to the lending library by registered post, express post and in hand. In each library, a maximum number of 3 requests per week and with a total number of 5 volumes per request is allowed.
In case a text that has already been lent is requested, the service shall book such text on behalf of the requesting library. The expected volume return date shall be communicated and, unless otherwise indicated by the requesting library, the volume shall be sent as soon as it is available.
The requesting library is always responsible for protecting the documents that are received until they are returned.
Requests are processed within a period ranging from three to seven working days after the confirmation of availability.
The volumes are sent by registered post or through courier.
The interlibrary loan service is provided following a free reciprocity modality.
However, the requesting library shall pay the shipping expenses for returning the documents, which shall be done through courier, registered post or express post.
- materials excluded from home loan as indicated by the on-line catalogue
- encyclopaedias, dictionaries, bibliographies, collections and similar materials
- textbooks used for exams (where foreseen by the specific library regulations)
- degree and doctoral theses
- texts that are not in good condition
- monographs published in the last 5 years
- cartographic material
- antique books, books of great value and books published before 1900